Road Management Services
A unique, full service turnkey solution for Haul Road Management.
Dust-A-Side are one of the largest providers of haulroad and dust control management solutions to the mining industry in the world. Today, we operate at over 70 minesites across four continents, employ nearly 900 personnel and leverage off our dynamic global parent company, Colas. As such, we are uniquely placed to provide a holistic approach to haul road management.
We do far more than sell dust suppression products like so many in our industry; we provide a full service business model incorporating the manufacture, supply, installation, maintenance and management of haul road performance and dust control solutions. This includes:
- All Personnel
- Plant & Equipment
- Dust Suppression Products,
- Technology, and
Our single-minded, one-source approach doesn’t just help you enjoy unmatched economies of scale, it also means that we can achieve highly effective dust control plus a supremely productive haul road running surface on any mine site.
Total Haulroad Management. Step 1: Manufacturing
Dust-A-Side Australia doesn’t just have THE best dust suppression product for haulroads on the market – DAS Product – we also have our own proven global supply chain and an incomparable logistics capability. DAS Product is a bespoke dust control product developed especially for the mining industry, using proprietary bitumen emulsion technology. It has been proven to control fugitive dust, as well as stabilise the wearing course layer on permanent haul roads at mining sites throughout the world. It is manufactured right here in Australia under license by our parent company Colas, leveraging off of their global bitumen supply chain and unrivalled manufacturing expertise in the Australian market.
The Colas Group is a highly regarded global bitumen technology organisation, with an emphasis on bitumen supply and associated technologies. Important elements of our regional strategy include the investment in a new bitumen refinery located in Malaysia (capable of producing in excess of 1 million tonnes of bitumen per year) and a fleet of bitumen bulk carriers. We produce more than 70M litres of speciality emulsions annually. Not only does this give us full control over ISO 9001:2008 quality, but it also allows us to:
- minimise costs,
- guarantee continuity of supply, and
- provide geographic redundancy.
Following manufacture – in Perth, Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne – we store the DAS Product in sufficient quantities to establish and maintain mining industry haulroads.
How to Design a Haul Road… that actually saves you money!
While most haul roads are virtually bottomless pits requiring constant expensive maintenance, Dust-A-Side Australia has created new haul roads designed to achieve lower capital expenditure and lower on-going operating expenditure. In fact, as you’ll discover when you download our Haul Road Construction eBook, the total cost of ownership (TOC) of the asset will be minimised over its life.
Total Haulroad Management. Steps 2 & 3: Bulk Transportation & Storage
Manufacturing a highly effective dust suppression product is one thing – getting it to your site cost-efficiently and onto your haul roads is another thing altogether. As part of our vertically integrated business model, Dust-A-Side Australia has developed a comprehensive in-house bulk transportation capability, to overcome the “tyranny of distance” for large projects hundreds of kilometres from anywhere. Our reliable new fleet can efficiently transport up to 90,000 litres of DAS Product per load from our manufacturing plants and strategically positioned storage depots to remote operations across the length and breadth of Australia. It can be then stored in customised storage tanks onsite, so it’s right on hand and ready to use. Storing DAS Product in bulk at your facility saves you money on transport, plus there are no IBC’s, drums or other containers so there are economic and environmental benefits too. And best of all, it’s all handled for you by trained experts. For more information about these 2 steps, read this article: Bulk Dust Products Offer Unprecedented Cost Efficiencies
Total Haulroad Management. Step 4: Road Preparation
Preparation is important in most aspects of life – in haul road management, it’s critical. Prior to establishing the haul road, we ensure that the foundations are all in order and that the road-base layers have been properly prepared and profiled to the highest possible standards. This process involves:
- Construction of the haul road sub-grade and sub-base layers to ensure that the haulroad has sufficient underlying strength to support the weight of the loaded equipment that will be travelling along it.
- Incorporation of adequate crossfall and super-elevation, as well as appropriate drainage, and
- Development of a surface layer (base course).
Once the road has been properly prepared, the surface layer material will then be spilled into windrows on either side of the roadway.
Total Haulroad Management. Step 5: Road Establishment
One the haulroad has been expertly prepared, the road establishment process can commence. This is completed through one of two methods: • road management • Spray-On Solution
Our road management process is without peer. Refined since 1973, it has been proven to yield the most productive haul roads at the lowest life-cycle cost. Stabilisation of the haulroad provides an improved haulroad running surface that will reduce the need to regularly grade and re-sheet roads, improve the rolling resistance for mobile equipment and thus improve cycle time efficiency. DAS Product is initially established into the wearing course layer of the haulroad to bind material and also provide a surface seal that significantly reduces wheel-generated dust and the ingress of water into the road-base. It is applied via a water cart and, for best results, a modified spray bar and nozzle system is incorporated onto the watercart. The final trim grader operator mixes the product with the windrows using the grader, before capping the road surface with the mixed material. During the stabilisation process a roller is initially used for compaction, although heavy mobile machinery will provide optimum compaction upon completion of the road establishment process.
In instances where road management is not desired, DAS Product is simply applied onto the surface of the road via a series of light dilutions. The repeated application of the product and penetration properties of the formulation will lead to progressive build up of a bitumen sealed surface that binds surface material together and prevents water ingress.
Total Haulroad Management. Step 6: Maintenance
Bitumen-based, it does not leach out during inclement weather and it is by far the easiest road binder material to repair. During the Maintenance Phase, repeat applications of diluted DAS Product are applied to maintain the integrity of the running surface, eliminate water ingress beneath the surface, and control dust.
Our unique maintenance system is designed to ensure that the on-going road quality is optimised and therefore the available benefits maximised. The maintenance system not only comprises the on-going application of product, but also the following proprietary processes as and when required: Adoption of Dust-A-Side’s Haulroad Management System will yield Proven Results:
- Sweeping (using specially designed mine haulroad sweepers) to control dust, contamination and loose material on the pavement surface
- Skimming of the pavement surface with a grader or similar means to remove heavy contamination and loose material
- Re-scarifying of the running surface to maintain the integrity of the seal layer and retain adequate surface texture properties
- Pothole repair
- Repair of failed sections of road
- Repair of damaged sections of road
Adoption of Dust-A-Side’s Haulroad Management System will yield Proven Results:
- Operational dust reductions of 90%+
- Water savings of 95%+
- Safer roads due to improved visibility
- Operational cost savings and efficiencies due to the reduced need for water carts
- Increased productivity through faster cycle times (up to 30% reduction in rolling resistance)
- Less wet-weather delays due to faster road drying times, improved wet-weather trafficability and fewer washouts
- Lower initial construction costs when building new roads
- Operational cost savings through a reduced need for graders and other road maintenance equipment, as well as regular replenishment of surface wearing course material
- Reduction in fuel consumption of 3% (on average)
- Improved tyre life and equipment component life
- Safer haulage conditions due to the reduced likelihood of uncontrolled vehicle movements
- Reduced road roughness, leading to lower maintenance costs for mobile equipment and health and safety benefits for operators